Tommy Hilfiger is also celebrating this year his 25th anniversary. A good time to reflect on the world “preppy”, this American East Coast college style that had become the aspiring style of a generation in the late 70’s, early 80’s.The preppy hand book came ou in 1980. Remember!
- Every preppy woman has a friend who is a jewelry designer. (real or fake diamonds?)
- No man bags. ( Oops! not so sure)
- Preppies don’t perm their hair.( Highlights maybe…)
- Preppy men do not believe that comb-overs disguise anything.( All men are bald now. It makes it easier.)
- You can never go wrong with a trench coat. (yes if a Burberry )
- Thou shalt not fly first-class. (L’Avion will do)
- Thou shalt use thy frequent-flier miles whenever possible. (Who does not!)
Things change a bit and college kids are not the same. Tommy’s today Preppy is not yesterday’s. Looking at the 2011 Spring RTW show, it is sexier, less conservative, and the stripes have been used in many different ways.
Be aware of vintage words!